Thursday, April 28, 2011

30 Minutes for Me and 3 Things Thursday

Double Post! 

This month Aneta at My Running Bucket and I are doing a 30 Minutes for Me Challenge!  Wanna join us?



The basic plan is to spend 30 minutes every day doing something for YOU!  30 minutes of stretching, yoga, running, cross training, or even an extra 30 minutes in the kitchen to whip up a new, healthy meal.  BUT, you can't carry over from one day to the next, so if you go for a two hour run on Sunday, that only counts for Sunday and you can't slack off for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  You can do it!  And even more, you deserve it!

You can add onto your plan any way you want.  As you might remember, I'm a horrible fruit eater, so I'm also committing to 30 peices of fruit in May. And I'm going to run a minimum of 30K a week, hoping to keep myself motivated after the marathon.

I'm working on a tracking tool for Aneta and myself, and if you would like to join us, leave a comment for one of us and we'll add you.  This has got me excited about May!


Three (more) Things:

1.  Monday night the group met for a run.  I thought we were only doing 5K, but it turned out we were doing 10K.  Not a problem, and as we were running along at a nice comfortable pace and chatting away about the upcoming marathon, I couldn't help but think about how 10K used to be a long run for me.  How it was only about 2 years ago that I started to get back into running (again) and prepping for my first half marathon, and the difference between running 5K and 10K seemed HUGE.  Not any more!

2.  Last night the group got together for our final run.  There are 8 of us running in Vancouver and another bunch heading to Edmonton for an Ultra race at the end of May.  After 5K, we went into the Rec Centre for snacks and a movie:  The Distance of Truth.  Need some inspiration before a race?  Watch this documentary.  It follows runners at the 135 mile Badwater Ultra, focussing on Canadian, Ferg Hawke (who came in second by 7 minutes in the 24+ hour race), but also featuring Dean Kernazes, Scott Jurek and others.


3.  The BF and I are leaving first thing tomorrow morning to head to Vancouver.  My aunt and uncle are flying in from Toronto to meet us in Vancouver for the weekend.  The running group is going to meet at package pick up and after the race.  I don't know how I'm going to get any work done today - I'm really excited!

8 comments:

  1. It's so rewarding when those mid-distances that used to be loooong start to feel short. You are ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to do the 30 min for me challenge - I think I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is unbelievable how the things and the perspectives change in the time.
    The long distances now are too short!
    Yes, you are ready now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck, have a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo exciting!!! Good luck and I'm sure all the hard work will pay off!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the 30min a day for YOU challenge. I'm IN!

    ReplyDelete
  7. im loving our challenge. so excited to get it started tomorrow!

    thnx for the suggestion of a movie. im doing a half marathon with a friend in a few weeks and we need some fun running movies for the evening before!

    hope ur having a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete