Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Weekend Update

How did it get to be Tuesday evening already? 

I seem to be in a mini-slump this week, running-wise.  Usually I really look forward to my long runs.  I have them planned out by mid-week and head out on Saturday mornings.  This past week, I was up early on Saturday morning, but didn't know where I wanted to run, and really didn't feel like running at all.  I got dressed to run, looked at some maps to try to find a new route, but never made it out the door.

Sunday, I made it out for 15K, but that was 15 LONG, HOT, NO FUN kilometers.  By the time I got myself out the door it was the middle of the day, the sun was high in the sky, there were no clouds, no breeze, and before long, I had no water left.  I stopped for a quick re-fill around the 10km mark, but it didn't help.  The last 5 km were sooooooo slooooooooooow.  Ugh.

Again, yesterday, I just didn't feel like running, even though I only had 5K planned.  Today I made it out for the 5 km, but barely.  More ugh.

I think I'm feeling a bit discouraged about the whole marathon training plan thing.  I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, but also a bit annoyed at myself for not figuring this out sooner.  I think I've decided to go with the Hal Higdon novice plan, that will have me running 4 times a week and less miles in the first few weeks than I've been running lately.  Kinda strange that my marathon training will start with me easing back on miles - but I think that's what I need to do to get back to enjoying my runs.  Plus, I'll be starting right after finishing a half marathon, so easing up for a week or two following the race doesn't seem like such a bad idea.  It's time to sit down and work on my goals for June - I think that will help me to get out of this funk too.

In my non-running life, my Grandma arrived on Saturday!  This is her first time in BC, and the first time I've had her as a house guest.  She lives alone, and doesn't drive anymore, so I think she's been enjoying our daily outings around town, and having someone to talk to.  Today, I took the day off work and we drove out to Barkerville.  Grandma bought a POUND of fudge.  So much for cutting back on sugar...  What kind of granddaughter would I be if I didn't let my grandmother spoil me?!

3 comments:

  1. I'm in a slump as well. Being done with my marathon and heading into the hated hot months has me not at all motivated to get out and run, sigh.

    Don't worry, you'll find your groove and be all ready when the training starts.

    Have fun with your grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh it sucks that you have no motivation for running. it happens. I just got over my funk! ull get out of it. no worries. please share the training plan with us when you figure it all out!
    have a good night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you can work your way out of that slump and get excited about training! Easing off might not be a bad idea at all.

    ReplyDelete