Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Guilty :(

I have a guilty conscience. Several weeks ago the BF and I had friends over for dinner. I baked a yummy chocolate oatmeal cake from scratch using a recipe my mom used to make when I was little to have for dessert. The cake turned out perfectly, but something went wrong with the icing. I'm not sure how you screw up icing, but I did it. The friends were coming over soon, so I rushed over to the store around the corner and bought the Betty Crocker stuff.

I don't eat a lot of pre-packaged food. I kinda have a rule about being able to pronounce all of the ingredients in everything that I eat. I cook mostly from scratch, though I occasionally cheat on fake meat (yes, this exists) because that stuff takes hours to make from scratch and I don't eat it that often anyway. I don't even buy salad dressing because I always make my own. (Have you looked at those labels?) I don't think I've ever bought icing in a can!

Ok, that's a lie. I used to buy it when I was a camp counsellor and we would do cupcake decorating as an afternoon activity with 24 5 year olds. I would buy the canned variety then. But I mean, as an adult, who likes to cook and bake, and is interested in living a healthy lifestyle, if I'm going to eat icing, I'm going to know exactly what's in it.

So anyway, I was in a hurry, and just this one time bought that stuff, and smeared half a can over the cake and nobody knew the difference but me. EXCEPT, there was half a can of icing left over....

...and I've been sneaking little spoonfuls ever since!!! Today I finally finished it off. I am kinda disgusted with myself, but also can't help laughing at myself for this.  Ok, it's really disgusting, and I'm only laughing a little bit.



This just goes to show that I really need to work on that cutting back on sugar goal!  Oops!

We could say that today's spoonfuls were my reward for a successful workout.  I headed to the gym for crosstraining on the bike and felt more comfortable this week than last week.  I only had time for about 35 minutes, but I pedaled as hard as I could on level 9.  This would be impressive if the machine went up to level 10, but I think it might go to level 20, or maybe 100.  Hrm...  there's just no justifying that icing!

I found out today that there's a race this weekend just over an hour away in Williams Lake.  I got excited for a minute and then looked at the course.  The half marathon is a double loop of the 10.5km course (there's also a 10.5 km race), and about 7 kms of it follow the route I run when I run while visiting good ol' Bill's Puddle for work.  (Seriously, people call it that).  Boooring.  I don't really feel like running a double loop half marathon, and I'm really only scheduled to run 5 miles this weekend.  I could go down to do the 10.5 K race, but spending 2.5 hours driving there and back to run for under an hour doesn't really seem worth my time.  Especially since I'm going there anyway for work this week and next week.  So much for that!





4 comments:

  1. That is great that you try to make everything yourself. I love the store bought icing...I just try not to buy it so I wont eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tub of icing would never survive in my pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't buy icing - I'd eat it all in one sitting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laughed about the icing. Been there, still doing that! I have a leftover vanilla layer birthday cake with butter cream icing and raspberries in the fridge that has been calling my name all week. That's why we run, or ride, as is my case.

    ReplyDelete