Monday, May 17, 2010

Firsts!

It has been a weekend of firsts!

Some are happy firsts, and some less happy firsts.

On Saturday morning, I drove out to a 15K loop I've run a few times before and is part of the Quesnel 1/2 Marathon route.  I've seen cyclists on this route before and once past a man running the other way, but it's usually pretty quiet and I tend to see more cows than cars.

While driving there I passed a woman who was running in the direction of my route.  I kept going, parked in my usual spot, gathered up my ipod, water bottle and car key, and started running.  Just as I started, I saw the woman round the bend to the road I was starting my run on.  About 1.5 kms later, she called out to me.  Then she said that she didn't want to come up behind me and scare me, and we started talking.  We ran together for about 2 K, chatting the whole time, then she reached her turnaround point and well, turned around.  I've never had that happen before!  It turns out that she normally runs at 6am, and doesn't usually run that far, so I don't think we'll become running buddies for life, but it was a nice way to break up my run on Saturday morning.  If you were running behind someone who was running your pace, would you catch up to them so you could run together?

The rest of my run was pretty typical.  I ran up until 8 K then took a walk break to try a gel.  I've only tried gels once before and was not a fan, but I had a vanilla flavoured one this time and liked it better.  I saw a couple of cyclists, a few cars, no other runners, and was feeling pretty good, but very, very hot.  I'd left for my run later than planned and as it was nearing noon, it was really warming up.  I was sweating up a storm!  Then with one kilometre to go, I felt pain around the back of my armpit.  Another first, but much less fun.  I was chafing.  I've never experienced this before, and have never used any kind of chafe-prevention product.  Recommendations?  Luckily, I was near the end of my run.

I ran hard for the final K with my arms at a sort of awkward angle to prevent further chafing.  I must have looked ridiculous.  The cows certainly thought so.  When I returned to my car, cows came running across the field towards me.  They stopped just shy of the fence and it honestly seemed like they were checking me out while I stretched!  Another first!?  As soon as I was finished stretching, they turned and walked away.  Cheeky cows.

Saturday night the BF and I were having dinner with friends and found out that they are expecting their first baby.  Now that's a big FIRST!  I'm very excited for them!

This morning I headed out for 10K, but told myself I would stop at the first sign of more chafing pain (until I figure out how to deal with it, I don't want it to get worse), or at the first sign of blister pain as I also finished Saturday's run with a giant blister on my foot.

I put a Second Skin thing on the blister and wore my best blister-protective socks and hoped for the best.  The chafing wasn't a problem, and the blister was pain-free, but mid run I thought I was getting another blister on my heel, which would be another first as I have never had a blister there from running.  I paused to look down  and the second skin thing had moved its way from the arch of my foot up my heel and was coming out my sock at the ankle.  Useless!  Anyway, I finished my run in 57:49 - just shy of last week's best time.

5 comments:

  1. ohh chaffing, OUCH! I am a body glide fanatic and some times vasaline if I can't find body glide

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE my BodyGlide!!! Like Amanda saic, Vaseline also works in a pinch.

    Great job on the runs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on your runs Amy! I think running with a partner is so much better than running alone. If that person runs your pace or is a little faster than you it is a bonus:) I am glad that you were able to find someone to run with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice surprise chatting with a fellow runner!! Body Glide has totally saved me a few times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a Body Glide user too. I made it through this last training season with not a single blister, I think largely due to generous use of glide on my feet before putting my socks on.

    ReplyDelete