Just as promised, I went to the gym and back on the treadmill today.
I tried mixing things up with the incline today. I fail to see how this makes treadmill running more "fun" as suggested in Runner's World this month and other places, but it was worth a try. Without changing my pace, I did a lap at no incline, then one at incline 1.5, then 0, then 2, then 0, then 3, then 0, then 2, then I'd had enough of inclines.
I made 2 great discoveries and one not so great one. First, I had planned to get up and go to the gym first thing this morning, but had a hard time getting moving and got stalled with a phone call, and general procrastination until the afternoon. This lead to discovery number one: Friday afternoon is a quiet period at the gym. I didn't have to wait for a treadmill, and for most of the time I was running, didn't have anyone on either machine next to me. Also, the tv at the gym (there's only one) plays TSN constantly and in the afternoon they do not show curling, which is much better than watching curling while running in the morning. No matter what it is, it's better than curling.
The second discovery was that each of the four treadmills has a little ledge on it, perfect for balancing my iPod with a tv show of my choice on it. This will make the time go much faster when I do go to the gym in the morning and am stuck with curling or really anything else TSN has to offer. No matter what I download, it will be better than TSN.
The third, not so great discovery was that in packing my gym bag, I'd forgotten a pair of fresh socks for after my run. Nuts.
I'll be working all day tomorrow and cross country skiing on Sunday. The next run will be Monday morning, with no inclines, an episode of something on my iPod, and a fresh pair of socks in my bag!
No comments:
Post a Comment