Thursday, December 30, 2010

Looking Back

It is the time of year for reflecting on accoplishments and challenges, goals met and forgotten, good times and bad.  I started looking back by going to my first blog entry in February, 2010, when I wrote:

I am going to run a marathon. I have not decided when, or where, but I'm going to do it.
I started to train yesterday. I ran for 30 minutes and went 3 miles plus a warm up and cool down. At that pace, it would take me 4 hours and 22 minutes to run the marathon distance, IF I could keep that pace going for 4 hours and 22 minutes, which I definitely couldn't have done yesterday, hence the training.

This October, I ran a marathon, finishing in 4:20:30 (chip time), just a smidge faster pace than that tough first 5K run just 8 months before.  That feels like an accomplishment.



The reason I pushed myself to make this goal, and to get up off the couch and get back to running after a 3 month hiatus, was a serious case of something a little worse than the winter blahs.  This time last year, I was not in a very happy place.  Getting out for that first run was a challenge, and every once in a while, it's still a challenge to get out, but I'm so glad I took that first run of 2010 in February, and I'm so glad that I didn't stop when I had a bad day or when the weather got colder again.

Along the way to the marathon I completed two half marathons, PRing in each, and coming within less than a minute of a sub-2 hour half marathon time.  I also ran my first 10K race this year.

Without starting the year with a total mileage goal, I'm finishing with a little over 900 miles, which feels pretty good.  I've never tracked my mileage so closely before, but I know this is far more than I've ever accumulated in one year in the past.

I also didn't start with a goal to lose weight, but I've taken off a few pounds (some might say a few too many pounds), and have been more mindful about what I eat.  It makes me feel better when I run if I'm taking in good fuel, but it also makes me feel better when I'm not running if I'm eating things that are good for my body.  I have not felt as good as I have this year, in a long time.

2010 has been good to me in other ways too.  I had an amazing trip beyond the Arctic Circle with the BF, fun times with old friends in New York City, and while work has been going well, I think I've finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up (more on that soon).

Goals for 2011, coming soon!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know how the marathon idea started and this makes your marathon an even higher accomplishment!! Congrats!!! I'm also happy to year that running helped you through tough times!!! Can't wait for your 2011 goals!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you definitely had a great year, congrats and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great year! I hope 2011 brings you even bigger and better adventures! Can't believe you didn't even know what marathon you were going to run as your first in February! Awesome accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed a great year: the first marathon and the first 10k plus 2 PB in the half!
    Best wishes for a better 2011!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a year to be proud of! Happy New Year Amy!

    ReplyDelete