Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Big, Scary, WEIGHT ROOM!!!

Is not so scary afterall!

Silly me!

My gym routine usually goes something like this:  Beeline to the treadmill.  Run.  Head to the mats.  5 minute stretch.  Get outta there.

Sometimes I look at the weights.  Sometimes I'll put myself on a steeper incline or run a faster pace and hold it until, that old guy is done on that machine, or that girl finishes with the free weights, but never, NEVER, do I venture over to that side of the gym.

To be honest, I've always found it a bit intimidating.  I don't know why, because that independent strength stuff was always the part of gym class that I was ever actually good at.  Somehow, somewhere along the line, I convinced myself that the weights were scary, that I didn't know what I was doing over there, and that I didn't need to use them.

Except of course, I know it would help my running if I did a bit of strength training now and then.  In November, I finally got around to signing up for a weight room orientation, and last week, I finally fit it into my schedule to go to that side of the gym. I met with one of the trainers, who I've met before through various aerobics classes that she teaches.  She is a powerhouse, can lift insane amounts of weight, and knows what she's talking about.

We chatted for a few minutes about running and working on my core.  She commented on my posture and asked if I'd been in gymnastics - close - 18 years of dance.  Right away she built my confidence:  "I'm not even going to let you try these machines because they'd be an insult to your fitness level!"  She toured me around a number of machines very quickly, but let me try each one, working my quads, hamstrings, various arm muscles, abs and back, and showed me a few options for different muscle groups before showing me a few more exercises to do with the ball and free weights and plank and crunch variations on the mat.

It was all a little bit too fast for me, and I definitely didn't absorb everything, but I certainly feel less scared of that side of the gym.  I get a second meeting next week, so I'm planning to go in at least 30 minutes before hand so I can try out a few of the things she showed me on my own and then ask questions during our next session.

I'd like to venture onto that side of the gym at least once a week after a shorter run on the treadmill.  I don't think I'll use the big machines too much, but I really liked the exercises she showed me with the ball and on the mat and could definitely see myself incorporating those into a new routine.

What's your favourite strengthening exercise?

1 comment:

  1. Good for you on trying out the weights! I also enjoy the "free weights" better and I heard it's better for your body as well. A lot of times you can work out several muscle groups at the same time. I hear you on not remembering the exercises, happens to me all the time. Actually at my gym they give you a cheat sheet. At first I was embarrassed to use one but then I notice most people had one! :)

    ReplyDelete