Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Aikido

Thanks for the encouraging words on my last post.  I'm looking forward to my next run (tomorrow morning).

Today I had the opportunity to try Aikido, through work.  According to Wikipedia, Aikido is performed by blending with the motion of the attacker and redirecting the force of the attack rather than opposing it head-on. This requires very little physical strength, as the aikidōka (aikido practitioner) "leads" the attacker's momentum using entering and turning movements. The techniques are completed with various throws or joint locks.

We wore all white, because we are not masters!  (Source)


We started with moving our joints, rolling our ankles, crunching the toes, bending the knees and swinging our arms to warm up before doing some gentle stretching.  After my plane ride back from Ontario yesterday, and a day of travel to get to Whitehorse today, this was a great start.  This was followed by practising kneeling, "the Japanese way," which built into standing, then rolling from a seated position, rolling to kneeling, rolling to standing, and rolling from standing.  Each move built on the next and soon we were rolling across the floor, then rolling over obstacles on the ground.  Though they were all moves that anyone could do, I tried to engage my abs to do each roll with control and make it a bit more of a work out.

After some time practising, we got to work in pairs to try some different moves that would allow you to easily bring an attacker to the ground.  This required a little more coordination than I readily possess, but after a few tries I was able to get it. 

I can't say that I have a passion for pursuing this or any other martial art, but it was a great class to try it out.  Almost everyone was a beginner, beginner, and the instructor did a great job of demonstrating and giving feedback and encouragement.

And did I mention that I was working while doing this?!  One of the youth I work with in Whitehorse had the opportunity to try it out recently and loved it so much that he wanted to introduce it to the others.  It was great to see them support his effort in organizing the evening, and his excitement in sharing Aikido with them.

Have you ever tried Aikido or any other martial art?

4 comments:

  1. I tried judo in university...it was a disaster. I am so uncoordinated it was embarrassing.
    But...it still was kind of cool.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My older sister started judo and was quite good. Oftentimes she used me to practice on and I think that might have been my start of my running career! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried any form of martial arts. I think maybe us females should learn some basic moves to protect ourselves in times of emergency.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post. When I was a teen-ager I was a judoka and I liked a lot.
    A friend of mine is pushing to let me try Aikido but I am too busy for other activities.

    ReplyDelete