Monday, April 19, 2010

Happy Earth Week!

Ok, Earth Day is not until Thursday, but why not think about our Earth a little more all week?  I am interested in the environment and making sustainable choices, but this is a running blog so I promise I won't get all preachy on you.  I just figure that as runners, we like to challenge ourselves, and for many runners, the challenge doesn't end with setting new PRs, and logging longer distances, we like to challenge ourselves in other ways too.  So this week, I challenge you to be more GREEN!  Try to do one thing each day that you wouldn't normally do that is a little bit friendlier to our planet.  If you already use a reusable shopping bag/coffee mug/water bottle, or if you already recycle/compost, or if you already walk everywhere then that doesn't count.  You've got to come up with something new!

Today I rearranged my day so that instead of making 3 trips into town, I only drove in once, parked once, and did all my errands on foot.  Too easy!  One of my stops was the library to pick up a book on starting a vegetable garden - my weekend project.  I also stopped in at Salvation Army to drop off some old clothes and to look for a rolling pin.  Better to reuse than buy new!

I did get out for a 5k run today too.  My knee was a little achey while I was running.  I wouldn't say painful, I could just feel that it didn't feel normal.  With the 1/2 marathon in Vancouver less than two weeks away, I really don't want an injury now!  Otherwise, it was a good run, at a good pace.

When I got home, I filled a 2L jug with water and have had it sitting on my desk all afternoon so that I make sure I drink enough water!  I just get busy with my day and forget to drink if it's not right there in front of me!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Earth Week! Great reminder. I try to "run" errands and avoid using the car whenever possible. However, I am also guilty of driving to my running meeting places, when I could easily add on an extra few K's to run there instead. We can all improve!

    I do the same thing with massive jugs/bottles of water. It's the only way I get it down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,
    I love the idea og going green:) I have had several classes at the University of Minnesota that have made me more mindful of my carbon footprint. I try to do what I can to help out Mother Earth:)

    Nice job on getting out there on your 5k run. Wow, just two weeks until a half narathon!! Try to get at least an eleven or twelve miler in:) Have a great day Amy!

    ReplyDelete