Monday, March 1, 2010

March Madness

I know I've been too easy on myself with these 5km runs. It was one thing on February 1st to run slowly when I hadn't been for a run for 3 months, but now it's March and it's time to push myself.

I decided to run outside on a fairly flat route from my house, fast. I ran the first 2.5 km in 13:30. That's 5:24 per km! That's a lot faster than I have been running! Which is probably why I had to stop and walk for 2:30 before starting up again. I jogged back home at a pace that felt faster than normal, but my watch tells me it was only negligably so.

I was feeling pretty bad for having to walk. Walking when I'm supposed to be running feels like failure to me. So I spent the 15 minute return run coming up with a list of excuses, including: I spent the better part of the weekend horizontal on the couch, watching the Olympics though I'm sure I would have been active if there had been enough snow to ski, or enough dry ground to hike (and if the Olympics hadn't been on), I had a headache, my pants were riding up, people were burning things which was surely affecting my breathing. Really, I think it was just too fast, too soon.

Bah.

No comments:

Post a Comment