Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday Stroll

We had an invasion yesterday....to the chicken coop.

The BF had let the chickens out for some free run time on the grass, and I was periodically checking that they didn't get out on the road.  [Insert obvious joke here].  At some point, between my checks, the chicks disappeared.  There were feathers around the yard, and after a bit of searching, we found 3 of 9.  One in the bushes, and 2 in the neighbour's garden.  A 4th was spotted but was so skittish that we couldn't catch it.  The BF found the rooster, minus the head, left in the woods behind the yard.  We found another this morning in the garage (with all its parts).  That leaves 4 more, MIA.

Aside from losing 5 chickens (including my favourite), the downside of this is that the BF was intent on catching the wily fox who caught the chickens, so despite it being a BEAUTIFUL day, we had to cut our usual Sunday hike short, so he could be home in time to stalk the fox. 

For the record, I don't know what he plans to do if he catches that fox.  He's hiding in the garage with a shovel, and I'm not asking questions.

Despite cutting the hike short, we caught a glimpse of salmon fighting their way up the creek, and had a beautiful, if short, walk in the woods.

There are salmon in there!

4 comments:

  1. That is really sad about the chickens. I get so attached to our animals I know I will be very sad. Sounds like a beautiful place to take a walk. I would love to see salmon like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful hike though!!! Poor chicken, I know it's the way nature is, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please have mercy of the fox, she only makes her (dirty) job.
    Poor chicken, I am sorry for them.
    That is a very beautiful place to walk through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry about the chickens.....pretty photos though! and I like your new layout!

    ReplyDelete