Saturday, June 18, 2011

Two Runs in One...

...Post!

Tempo Thursday
Work took me to Whitehorse, Yukon this week, so I got to do my tempo run up there.  I've been to Whitehorse before and knew that there was a trail that went along the river.  Unfortunately, though I had packed my Garmin, the battery was low so I went out with just my watch.  Since I didn't know my pace, I just went on comfort level.  And since I didn't know how far I was going, I went based on time.  18 minutes at an easy, comfortable pace, 18 minutes at a slightly uncomfortable pace and then back to comfortable until I got back to the hotel.

I ran through downtown to get to the river, along the river and through a camp ground.  Through this section there were lots of other people on the trail and I was very comfortable.  When I got to the bridge to cross to the other side, it was time to up my pace.  The trail went into a wooded area and suddenly there weren't any other people around.  I wasn't sure about wildlife, and was wishing I had my bear bell until I got back out to the street.  It was a nice trail though - I wish I'd been able to relax more to enjoy it. 

I got back to the hotel just ahead of schedule, but called it a day so I'd have time to stretch and get packed up before starting work.  I later used Map My Run and figured I went about 8.5K (I had 9K on the schedule).

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me on my run, so I don't have any photos along the trail, but later in the day, work took me to the Yukon Wildlife Reserve and I got a close up view of these guys:
That's a friendly lady muskox!


I love my job!

Long Run
My first long run of this round of marathon training was this morning. 

The plan:  21K at MRP + 19s (6:12/km or 9:58/mile)

The weather at the start:  13C and drizzling

Breakfast:  Oatmeal and one cup of coffee, plus a Gu right before setting out

Ready to go!

I slept through my alarm but still managed to be up by 7:30am, and hoped to be out by 8:45 after letting my breakfast settle.  Unfortunately, I'm on call for work this weekend and had a phone call that delayed me until 9:30.  Luckily, the drizzle and cloud was keeping the temperature cool, so even though I didn't finish my run until almost noon, I was comfortable the entire time.

Because I was on call, I didn't want to be too far away from home, just in case something came up.  I also had to carry my cell phone, and tried it in my new spibelt that I picked up at the Vancouver race expo.  I thought it might bounce a bit, but to be honest, after the first 5 minutes, I forgot it was there.

The whole run was great.  I checked out a few dead end streeets I've never been down, before heading out around a loop I haven't done in a long time. I was slightly ahead of pace the whole time, took a quick walk break for a Gu at 7K, stopped at 10K for a couple of minutes to stretch and check a message on my phone, another quick walk break at 14K for another Gu, and was just enjoying the run.  At 18K, I was on the street where I was chased by dogs in the winter.  I've run down there since, but for some reason today, I had a bad feeling, and was tensing up.  As a result, my form was falling apart, and my comfortable pace wasn't feeling comfortable.  I took an extra walk break to regroup. 

The bad feeling was for nothing, there were no dogs in sight, and since I'd had a little extra rest, I decided to push the final 2.5K at race pace.

The result:  21K in 2:08:15 or 6:06/km pace (Last 2 km @ 5:48 and 5:50 - right on target).

Weather at the end: 14C and overcast (I got lucky!)

Done!

6 comments:

  1. Looking good!! Good for you getting your in run while away for work, and way to go on the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s a perfect pace for the long run, well done! You are doing well with your training between travelling for your job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome job! Your training is going so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. im jealous of ur running. u r doing soooo well! great job.

    ur work also sounds fun. i wish i could travel for work.

    r u still coming to ontario this summer?

    aneta
    www.runningbucket.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a beautiful run!!! That's great you can run while traveling. I'm always scared in unknown areas, especially when I'm alone. Good job on your marathon training :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great long run.. Ive never seen a Muskcox.. that is wild! Good luck in your fall marathon.. check us out for your daily dose of marathon motivational medicine. Gotta Run,
    Mike
    www.facebook.com/WhyMarathon
    WhyMarathon.com

    ReplyDelete