Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Less than 5 weeks to go!

Time is flying!  Last week I had a good running week with a bit of travelling thrown in.

I went out for a short recovery run on Monday, about 38 minutes.  It was supposed to be a nice, slow run, but I ended up speeding up quite a bit after the turn around.  It felt good, so I went with it.  I didn't have time for a longer run, so part way through I opted for speed rather than distance.

Wednesday, I ran in Vancouver.  I had hills on the schedule, but there weren't any near where I was staying.  I went out for a long, steady, slight downhill on the way out and a long, steady, slight uphill on the way back, mostly on residential streets away from traffic.  It was so nice to run in a new neighbourhood and without long pants and a jacket on!  1 hour and 15 minutes later, I was starving!  It's hard to do a long(ish) run before brekkie!

Friday, I ran in Kamloops.  Again, it was nice to be in a new, different area!  I tried for a tempo run, but couldn't maintain my tempo pace and had to take a mini break part way through the tempo portion.  Still, it felt good to know that I can still run a bit speedier, even if I can't hold onto that pace for long.  Decided to not worry about pace at all until after the marathon.

Sunday, I headed out for my 20 miler.  It wasn't an easy run, but on reflection, I realized it wasn't tired legs or muscles that knocked me out.  It was all mostly mental.  I had done a big downhill at the beginning of the run and had a big uphill to climb at the end.  As soon as I got to the bottom of the downhill, I was dreading the climb back up, and that's when things started to fall apart.  What is with me and hills? 

In between all of the running last week, I also did a lot of walking.  I wish I'd been wearing my Garmin, just to know how much we walked!

This week is a busy one workwise, but after missing half of February and March for running, I'm not letting any excuse get in the way of a run, even if it has to be a bit shorter.  I squeezed my run in this morning in Prince George - another change of scenery!

6 comments:

  1. It's always nice to run in new locations. 5 weeks = nearly nothing! Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job...It's nice to keep that perspective of new scenery when you are travelling and trying to run...NOT easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing great! The race will be here in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!! I can't believe how good you are doing, even though you had/have an injury. Watch out soon taper will start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like downhill running sometimes works more than uphill does. Nice job with the 20, and all the walking! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. To run in different places is nice and interesting, the workouts seem easier.
    You are making a very good job, 5 weeks are "nothing".
    Have a good week end.

    ReplyDelete