Monday, February 7, 2011

Week Three - Oh crap.

This week got off to a good start.  I went out for the group run on Monday, started slow and felt cold, but finished strong and felt great.

Tuesday was my cross training day and I headed to the gym for 45 minutes on the bike.  So far, so good.

Tuesday night, I ended up working until 11pm. 

Wednesday morning, I was supposed to get up and take the bus to another town for a meeting at 6:30am. I woke up feeling craptacular.  The work trip didn't happen, and I spent the day feeling under the weather and missed the group run that night.

Thursday, I made a trip to another town for work, was able to take a break for yoga in the afternoon, but because I was still not feeling 100% and it wet snow was falling from the sky, I decided not to run. 

I was supposed to take the bus home at 11:15pm which would get me in at 12:45am.  Not great, but better than driving on slippery roads.  It seemed like a good plan.  The bus got half way home, when the driver got a call from dispatch and we had to go back to pick up more passengers.  I got home at 2:45am.  Ok, i could deal with this on a good week, but when I was already not feeling well, and had already had a late work night, it completely wiped me out on Friday, and another day passed without a run.

Saturday, I was determined to get out for a good long run.  I wanted to be out for about 2 hours, and had a route in mind to take which would take me down hill, along the river for a loop and then back up hill to home.  I was excited to head out and feeling good that I was no longer intimidated by THE HILL.  On the way down the hill, I was feeling the odd twinge in my right hip.  It was pretty icy, and I was being as cautious as I could be.  When I got onto flat ground, it felt better, and I kept going.  As I got to my turn around point, I stopped to use a washroom in a coffee shop.  When I started running again, something wasn't right.  My hip was feeling really stiff.  I kept going, hoping that I just needed to warm it back up, but the pain became more consistent, and then spread through my hip to my lower back.  I tried a couple of walk breaks, but when I got close to the rec centre, I knew I was done. 

For the first time ever, I had to call for a ride home.  I couldn't make the last 7K.

Sunday morning I was still feeling stiff, but went out for a walk in the snow with the BF.  It felt good to be outside, and because the snow was deep, it made for a good cardio workout, and convenient intermittent icing as I rested and lay down in the snow (sorry, no pictures of that).

When I got home from the walk, I got out a tennis ball and rolled around on it to massage the muscles around my hip.  The area where it was first sore at the front of my hip is feeling a lot better, but I think I managed to bruise my tail bone when I was rolling around on my back.

This was just not my week!

Yoga today, heading to the eliptical tomorrow, and have the first available physio appointment booked for next Monday.

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes life is just life and there is nothing you could have done. I'm proud of you for trying to finish the long run!! The tennis ball is really good for the hip pain (periformis muscle) and I think the physio will help as well. Don't worry about last week, this week will be better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope this week is better for you!! Life does get in the way sometimes! It has happened to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is it that EVERYTHING seems to go wrong all at the same time? Way to hang in there and do the best you can! I hope this week goes more smoothly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh, hope your hip is better. Although the rolling in the snow icing technique was genius : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry and think positive: after a bad week a good week!!!
    I hope that your hip feels better now.

    ReplyDelete