Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Week 1 Minus 1

Ya.  Last week was the week that wasn't, running wise.  I guess you could say it was the week that I wish it wasn't, work wise.

I got my scheduled run in on Monday, had a weather enforced rest day on Tuesday, and on Wednesday found myself dealing with a crisis at work that took me straight through to Saturday afternoon and NO time to run.  Though by Sunday I really needed to run, but I was too physically and emotionally drained to go Instead, I spent the day feeling feeling  frustrated that I was back at day one with marathon training.

This Monday, I chose to change my attitude.  Yes, I'm starting over, but restart day coincided with the first day of my marathon clinic and we were given new training plans anyway.  Rather than follow my original plan and try to work the clinic runs into that plan - I'm going to follow the clinic plan.

Rather than being based on miles, this plan is based on time spent running, which is different than any plan I've followed before.  I'm excited to try something new!  Have you ever followed a plan that gives you minutes/hours to run rather than miles/kilometers?

7 comments:

  1. Don't look back, just take it a day at a time :) I heard people using the time method, but I have a hard time with it. Don't really know why, because you can track your progress with increased miles during a specific time I guess. Let me know how it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think running for time can be better than running for distance, because then you get time on your feet and your body gets used to it. Hope the new plan works well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the new plan. I think it's a good test to see which way you prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our run club totally does this...
    Sunday is a long run - distance.
    Tuesday - speed workout - 45min
    Thursdays - usually tempo run for 60min. During hill training we go for repeats not time
    We are supposed to do another run on our own that is distance - b/w 8-12km depending on what we are training for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never followed such plan. Before I used to count only the mileage. Now, thanks to the RWs program, I make a mix of mileage and minutes.
    To avoid the days off due to work related problems I have learned to make my workouts before going to my office.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your start over attitude. I am dealing with the same issue, not finding time to get in my workouts. But it all comes down to attitude.

    My new half-training plan calls for minutes runs during the week and then a longer mileage run on saturdays. I am mentally enjoying the time vs the mileage during the week, because I just tell myself, it's only 30 minutes.
    That right now seems more doable than 3 miles.
    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck with the new tactic, and nice job getting right back at it. : )

    ReplyDelete