So far so good on getting the runs in during this work trip.
En route to Calgary, I stopped for a night in Golden to break up the drive. I had a beautiful early morning 5K in the mountains before continuing on through Banff and into Calgary. I wish I had pictures, but I was in a rush to get back on the road!
This morning I woke up at 6:30 for a planned 8K (5 mile) run before work training. I headed down to the hotel desk, took a quick look at a map with no scale, and estimated my route. Off I went. Calgary is mostly a grid with Avenues running one direction and Streets running perpendicular. I just needed to do a big square.
Leave it to me to get lost. Somehow I ended up on a road going on an angle not in line with the Aves and Sts, and instead of coming out at 16th Ave, back at the hotel, I'd overshot to 32nd Ave. I asked a pedestrian for directions to avoid running on a highway, but 10 minutes later I was still not back on track. By this point I'd already run 10K, and was quickly running out of time to shower before meeting with my new boss! Needless to say, my last 2K were at my fastest pace in a long time. I was back at the hotel with 12.5K on my Garmin, just in time to rinse off in the shower and throw clean clothes on before heading to the office. Phew!
Does this happen to anyone else? How well do you plan your routes before you run? I'm not sure if I like getting lost or not. On the one hand, I got the bonus miles in, and was pushed to run faster, but on the other hand, it was kinda stressful thinking I was going to be late getting to work!
I always use gmap-pedometer to map out my routes online so I know the exact distance. I'm way too nervous about ending up too far from home/hotel or getting lost!
ReplyDeleteGlad you're getting in some great runs!
I usually run super easy routes, down the street and max one turn :) Good job on getting the training in even though you are traveling so much!
ReplyDelete